Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Day 2/3 Namche Bazaar

"Grit you teeth and climb to a drooping suspension bridge floating at dizzying heights above the Dudh Kosi (if any yak or pony trains are already on the bridge, let them pass - you don't want to be tipped into the gorge by a pushy bovine). There is a powerful sense this is where the mountains really begin - like the scene from Lord of the Rings where the fellowship starts to climb in the Misty Mountains."

-Lonely Planet




After this ridiculously windy pass and an exhausting 500 meter accent, we arrived at Namche Bazaar. The last place that resembles civilization for the climbers of Mt. Everest. The same place where Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edumnd Hillary passed through on their historic accent to the top of the world. It's a scenic town with beautiful stone buildings, bakeries that sell the awesome Himalayan Apple pie and the last place where you take a shower, use the internet or buy supplies.




I am spending two days here because I have gone from the valley of Kathmandu to around 11000 feet in two days, with 2500 feet coming from climbing. It's necessary to stay here and let your body adapt to the lower levels of oxygen. Altitude sickness is no joke and can mean an expensive helicopter ride to lower elevation if the symptoms are worse enough. It's extremely important to not push yourself too hard, drink plenty of water and monitor for headaches, dizziness or tingling in the finges. 

It's also important on your second day to get up and do some hiking to higher ground. We decided to hike about 300 meters higher in elevation to Kumjung, where I saw my first views of Mt. Everest. Hint it's the peak to the left of the one with the clouds.


We then climbed back down and stopped at the highest elevation school where students have to trek upwards of 45 minutes on a steep slope to attend class.



The school cafeteria below.


Like every kid around the world, they're learning English.


And remember kids, Mr. Football and Miss Bat are found of reading.


The playground



And recess is over.


And now I'm sitting here debating whether I want to pay the 6 bucks for my last chance of a hot shower. I can definitely smell some rotting frumunda cheese that will only get worse. But I have baby wipes and they can do a somewhat effective job at a full body cleansing. I'm not sure if I'll have internet after this but, I'll be sure to post updates if I do.

Oh yeah, beware of the Yak Attack. I'm waiting for a professional sports team to name themselves the Yaks. The Utah Yaks would be more appropriate than Jazz.








No comments:

Post a Comment