Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Thanks

In Thailand, the streets are lined with people selling just about anything from peanuts to pad thai for any dollar they can get. In India, I saw entire communities share a tractor for their only mode of transportation. (Photos were lost with my phone :( )In Nepal, porters will carry twice their body weight on their backs up thousands of vertical feet to provide for their family.



Despite these difficulties, despite the lack of material wealth and despite the comforts that we take for granted, I've seen people improvise, find joys in the things that they're doing and rally around family everyday, just like we do for Thanksgiving. 

Instead of using a boom box, I saw families use a pan for musical chairs. When the pot banging stopped, someone was left without a seat. 

We take for granted the ease of using a washing machine, but spending half your day socializing with the other women and a smile on your face while doing the laundry makes the time pass faster. 


You don't need the latest game counsel to have fun as kid. A bat and a ball is all that's needed for entertainment on the weekends.

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/gf86j2hWOW/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

 And you don't need the latest designer clothes when a John Cena T Shirt is way more badass anyways.


Material wealth is always relative but happiness is absolute

I'm thankful of the opportunity I have to travel and to have an awesome family and friends who support me. I'd love to be home and see them right now. I'm thankful to live in a country that provides me the freedoms that I have and the opportunities that countries around the world dream of. 

When the little things go wrong like an over cooked turkey or the small problems we have like having Tony Romo throw picks on our fantasy team, they're problems that we can be thankful for. Looking at whatever problems we may have, we should focus on finding happiness with the present moment, make the most of the opportunities we have and most importantly stay close to your family and the people you love, no matter how far apart. 

Stay safe this Thanksgiving and eat some turkey and watch some football for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment